Keys Gate requires families to volunteer their time during the school year. Research has shown that parent(s) who involve themselves in volunteer activities at their child’s school helps support their child’s academic achievement. Parents have many opportunities to volunteer their time at school. This may include working in the classrooms; assisting with fundraisers and special events; attending workshops and PTSO meetings; helping in the cafeteria and library media center; participating on a field trip.. Twenty volunteer hours are required for one child in KGCS/KGCHS and thirty hours are required for families that have two or more children attending KGCS/KGCHS.
Parent Teacher Student Organization
The role of the Keys Gate Charter School Parent Teacher Student Organization is to promote and foster good, clear channels of communication and engage in a cooperative relationship between the home, school and the community. The PTSO helps to promote an enriched educational environment by fostering and implementing programs that enriches the cultural and social lives of our students and enhances the educational facilities for our school.
Membership is $10 per family.
2015-2016 PTSO Board
K-2 Vice President: Maribel Isaza
3-6 Vice President: Anita Corum
7-12 Vice President: Yudibeth Veras
Treasurer: Beth Foster
Secretary: Lynda Melton
Volunteer Coordinator: _______
Fundraising Coordinator: _______
K-2 Teacher Liaison: Maria Berger
3-6 Teacher Liaison: Carol Mertens
7-12 Teacher Liaison: _______
K-2 Parent Liaison: _______
3-6 Parent Liaison: _______
7-12 Parent Liaison: Laura Diaz
Box Top Coordinator: Susan Katsouris
Harvest Festival Coordinator: Ricardo Taleno
Book Fair Coordinator: Beth Foster
Educational Excellence School Advisory Council
The purpose of the Keys Gate Charter School Educational Excellence School Advisory Council is to work to ensure improved student achievement. It’s role is to serve as the appropriate avenue for authentic and representative input for all teachers, parents, support personnel, students, business community representatives and administration. Council members meet monthly and are expected to communicate with constituents to collect data and opinions for decision making; report to constituents the actions taken by the Council and consider the needs of all students when making decisions.
For more information or to join the EESAC please contact the school at 305-230-1616. Meetings are held on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 4:15 in the library.
Parents are required to volunteer 20 hours for one child or 30 hours for two or more. The hours can be prorated to two hours a month if your child is accepted after school has begun. Ten hours of volunteer service should be completed by December 18th. Students whose parents have not completed the all service hours by May 6th will not be permitted to participate in end of the year activities, field trips, dances and the like.
Parents have many opportunities to volunteer their time both at school and at home. Volunteer sign-up sheets will be available at Open House before school starts and during Back to School Night. Other opportunities are announced throughout the school year.
To volunteer in classrooms, please make prior arrangement with the teacher so that instructional time is not lost.
It is suggested that a minimum of 2 hours of volunteer service be spent working on school fundraisers and special activities.
Parents will receive volunteer time for attending workshops and general parent meetings conducted in the school.
Popular ways to earn hours:
- Participate in school-wide fundraisers (Examples: Book Fair, Cookie Dough, Yankee Candle, Gift Wrap, Movie Ticket Sales)
- Actively participate in a sub-committee/event sign up at the PTSO meeting
- Help out in Teachers Classroom (organize room, create projects, etc.)
- Donate office supplies (band aids, copy paper, pens, staples, paper clips, etc.)
- Donate classroom supplies / teacher wish list items
- Attend PTSO Meetings (4th Tuesday of the Month)
- Attend EESAC (School Advisory Council) Meetings, Honor Roll, Show What You Know Assemblies, Orientation, Open House, Meet & Greet, Harvest Festival, Field Day Events, Career Day, Incentive Parties
- SAVE Box tops – 30 box tops equals 1 hour
- Assist with Bake Sales and Pizza Sales
- Chaperone on field trips
- Volunteer in the media center or school cafeteria
- Become a Room Parent / Assistant Room Parent
- Provide support with arrival, dismissal, cafeteria, hallways
- Volunteer in the Office
- Volunteer at and/or donate items for Teacher Appreciation Week
- Attendance at “Give Back” Nights where a percent of the proceeds are provided to the school (McDonald’s McTeacher Night, Chili’s Night, Applebee’s)
To volunteer or for more information on current volunteer opportunities please contact the school’s main office.